Hiring software engineers is one of the most challenging and demanding jobs for a new engineering leader.
The interview process can be daunting — especially for non-technical managers or those without active recruiting experience. And even if you are a technical interviewer, you want to make sure you're getting the most out of potential candidates.
You might be wasting time with long rounds of interviews, or running out of candidates before you're confident in a hire.
That's where a technical interview service (TIS) comes in.
A TIS will help you set up a proper interview process and make sure that you're covering all of the important aspects of the role. It can also help you identify qualified candidates and weed out those who aren't qualified.
But not all technical interview services are created equal. The service you choose should be able to provide you with the resources you need to find the best candidates for your organization.
Let's explore what to look for in a TIS.
Technical interview outsourcing
You already know that technical interviews are often one of the biggest roadblocks to finding qualified candidates for open engineering roles.
That's because assessing a candidate's technical skills can be difficult to do in an interview environment.
Answering questions through a coding problem, for example, might work for a junior developer — but senior engineers require more in-depth questions about systems thinking. And you still need to assess soft skills like collaboration, communication, and general personality traits during an interview.
A TIS provider can ask candidates to complete a homework assignment before scheduling an interview. You can use this assignment to gauge the candidate's skills and see how well they might fit into your team; it also gives you a chance to ask the candidate questions about their submission, so you have a better idea of their experience and expertise.
When looking for a technical interview service, consider the following:
1. Resources: The service should provide you with access to resources like technical interview guides, templates, and training.
2. Experience: Whether you need to interview freelance developers or bring on someone professional full-time, a TIS should have experience interviewing engineers at all levels. Be sure to review their business history, client list, and overall reputation.
3. Support: Your provider should offer support throughout the recruitment process, from identifying candidates to onboarding.
4. Cost: The service should be affordable and fit within your budget. Consider the number of interviews you and the candidate will participate in as well.
5. Quality: Your TIS should have high standards for quality. Make sure that the resumes are properly vetted before your organization begins the interview process.
Any TIS that checks these five boxes can help immensely with hiring software engineers.
Mock interview questions
For new engineering managers, mock interview coaching is key to preparing for a successful technical interview. A TIS can provide access to a wide range of resources, including:
- Sample questions: Review the types of questions you might ask in a technical interview
- Practice panels: Conducting a technical interview panel with other interviewers so that you feel more comfortable interviewing candidates
- Interview tips: Learn how to ask questions and identify red flags
- Case studies: Get an idea of each candidate's thought process and ask questions relevant to their chosen case study
- Sample resumes: See what different types of resumes look like and how to properly assess them
The more prepared you are for a technical interview, the more likely you are to make a good hire. Your TIS can set you up with a mock interview service and ensure that you have everything you need to make an informed decision.
Technical interview as a service
There are several TIS providers offering expert advice on how to best approach hiring. What separates Woven from the rest?
Our developer hiring platform can help you define the role you'd like to fill, screen candidates, deploy a technical assessment, and evaluate candidate responses. We eliminate 50% of engineering time most teams spend on technical interviews.
Plus, our technical assessment platform sends personalized feedback to every candidate and has a 95% completion rate for senior engineers.
These are the 10x developers who will take your company to the next level. We'll help you get them onboard quickly.
It takes a long time to find the right people.
Engineering managers are often expected to bring in new talent, and without enough resources or hours in the day, it can be difficult to properly vet candidates.
Looking for a TIS that offers resources, experience, support, and quality means that you can focus on the other aspects of your job and leave the technical interviews to the experts.
Find out how Woven can better prepare you for your next round of interviews. Start a free trial with us today!