How to Find the Best Coding Assessment Platform in 2022
Engineering managers have to hire the best of the best this year.
The tech industry is booming, producing new products that are changing the world every day. And software developers — as the primary kingpins behind these products — are in high demand.
To attract highly skilled talent, you need a coding assessment platform that works for your team. The best platforms can help you find the right person for the job by providing an objective assessment of a developer’s skills.
And with an 88% correlation between candidate code submissions and interview performance, you can’t afford to use the wrong tools.
The good news is that you don’t have to rely on resumes and interviews alone. The bad news? There’s no shortage of options.
Let’s look at what makes a good online coding test platform and compare the options available today. By the end of this article, you should know which one is right for your team.
A Quick Primer on Coding Assessments
Code assessment tools can help hiring managers spot strong candidates who might otherwise go unnoticed by traditional means.
They allow companies to automate the process of finding qualified developers and improve developer performance. One study found that automated testing tools enhanced developer performance by 12% while reducing costs by 15%.
With a coding assessment platform, managers can test candidates on their programming knowledge without cutting into engineering time. And for developers, scoring high marks on programming tests for interviews means they’re more likely to be offered the job.
Engineering leaders: don’t reinvent the wheel. Use the following tools and resources to save time, improve quality, and elevate your team.
Before we compare platforms, let’s break down the difference between a coding challenge and a coding test.
Coding challenges are a series of algorithmic problems that a candidate is asked to solve in a given time frame. They tend to last from 30 minutes to a few hours.
Coding tests, on the other hand, are a more holistic evaluation of a candidate’s abilities. The assessor looks carefully at the code to make sure it fits with company standards before submitting it.
Studies show that coding tests are 10x more likely to accurately predict which candidates will excel during the interview. Coding challenges, on the other hand, only work about half the time.
When it comes to choosing a tech-based solution for hiring, it’s important to look for a coding test online that delivers the following:
- Fast and accurate coding assessment results
- A wide range of programming languages and job roles
- Flexible scoring capabilities and customization options
You might be thinking: my candidates already know how to code. Do I really need an assessment?
The answer is yes.
Even experienced developers benefit from a coding test, as it can help predict performance and place candidates where they’re most likely to succeed. Plus, it’s a great way to incentivize developers with existing skills to learn newer technologies.
Now let’s find the best online assessment platform for you.
Coding assessment test platforms
There are plenty of options for online coding tests available today. To help you cut through the noise, here are 5 of the most popular platforms on the market:
- Woven: Woven is the only coding assessment interview worthy of experienced engineers. Candidates receive individual feedback after completing problems based on role-specific scenarios, and engineers double-blind score each candidate. This allows busy teams to evaluate 10x more candidates in half the engineering time. With our platform, you can make offers faster and have an advantage in this candidate-driven market.
- Codility: Codility’s platform takes care of everything from reporting to test creation. Managers can create dynamic tests based on a candidate’s past performance and even design tests to target specific skills.
- Leetcode: Leetcode focuses on thorough testing and rewarding developers’ existing skills. The tests assess everything from how well someone can code to their ability to work collaboratively and use feedback effectively.
- HackerRank: HackerRank has a range of features to help recruiters and developers communicate better during the hiring process, including live chat and access to a pool of qualified applicants.
- CodeSignal: CodeSignal allows companies to conduct in-depth assessments using real-world tasks that simulate on-the-job performance.
Software developer assessment tests come in all shapes and sizes. One might focus on thorough testing, while another emphasizes speed and efficiency. Some take a hybrid approach.
At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that hiring a developer is a multi-step process that requires more than just a coding test. Your company will need a platform that can provide a range of features, from detailed analytics to personalized feedback.
And the platform you choose should ask coding assessment questions that go beyond code.
Best online exam platform
Still need clarity on what to look for in a great software engineering platform? We’ve got you covered.
- Find a platform that has complete coding tests for roles at every level, from entry-level up to CTO and chief architect.
- See if it offers advanced features like automated testing, test editing, and candidate feedback, along with simple features like automatic assessment syncing and an easy-to-use interface.
- Look for a platform that has verifiable results, so you can confirm the accuracy of its assessments and compare them against your own benchmarks.
- Make sure the company behind the platform offers great support.
- Ask if it can handle any type of coding language, like Java, Python, or DevOps tasks.
Woven checks all of these boxes. Our assessment platform goes beyond code to evaluate real problem-solving ability in skills like systems architecture, debugging, and collaboration. We test several roles, and our personalized feedback leads to a positive candidate experience.
Try it yourself and let one of our talented team members walk you through the process.
Hiring engineers in 2022 is more complicated than it’s been in the past. There are plenty of developer assessment tools to choose from, and you need to strike a balance of moving fast and hiring top talent.
We hope that these tips will help you find the best coding assessment platform to grow your team this year.