Meet Scrat, the saber-toothed squirrel from the Ice Age movies. This dude has two primary directives; look for the best acorns and find ideal locations to bury them. Sure, Scrat has met some challenges along the way, but he always goes nuts* accomplishing his mission.
*We had to.
Much like Scrat, businesses are always looking for the best software developers to join their teams and make meaningful contributions. Engineering leaders deploy technical assessment tests to fill their open job roles and accomplish this mission.
So what is a technical test?
It's an evaluation you can use during a technical interview to gauge a software developer's technical capabilities, domain proficiency, and job prowess to establish their suitability for your open roles.
There are 3 different types of technical assessment tests:
- Coding tests – These tests can be used at the initial stages of the recruitment drive to trim down the numbers. Coding tests require the candidates to run working programs and solve challenges.
- Take-home tests – You can send these to candidates to solve in their own programming environments, which might take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.
- Live coding assessments – Live assessments are typically used in the later stages of interviews. They are role-based, and candidates can solve coding challenges in front of an interviewing panel via online IDE or traditional whiteboard.
In most cases, the engineering manager (AKA you) has the responsibility of checking various technical assessment test samples and then subjecting your candidates to several rounds of time- and resource-consuming tests.
But what if there was a better way to assess candidates and reduce recruitment time?
With Woven, there is.
Technical interview questions engineering
Wouldn't it be great if you were clairvoyant and could figure out a candidate just by looking at them?
Well, when you find an engineering manager who’s also psychic… let us know.
As businesses adopt modern tech like A.I., cloud computing, digitization, and more, the demand for software developers is at an all-time high. Reports indicate that an average of 189,200 developer roles will be created annually over the next decade.
And despite substantial vacancies in tech departments, you still have to follow the proper protocol when hiring developers.
That's where technical test questions come in to gauge the candidate's technical skills, problem-solving, and suitability for a particular role.
These questions will lay the groundwork and guide you towards finding your ideal candidate. And having the right developers in your corner will help your business grow and become a worthy competitor.
However, you can’t pick questions from a hat and direct them at the potential developer during interviews. Having the right questions is paramount unless you want to end up with the wrong hire, which could cost your business up to $240,000.
Begin compiling the right questions by checking out this sample aptitude questions and answers pdf.
Or, make the hiring process easier and use one assessment platform with the right questions for all your open roles. Woven’s assessments quickly weed out unqualified candidates, and our unbiased feedback helps you find hidden gem engineers.
We’re not clairvoyant. We just know a talented developer when we see one.
Technical assessment report
Picture this. You advertise your open roles expecting a few dozen applications; instead, you receive hundreds!
You arm yourself with a technical assessment report template and sacrifice golf outings, happy hours, and weekends to sift through all the resumes and hold interviews. But you still end up with the wrong hire.
The process leaves you bummed and worn out.
We know the feeling. That’s why our online technical assessment platform caters to all your technical hiring needs.
We utilize both machine learning and human expertise to eliminate pre-screening bias and triage assessments in record time. Our process ensures that only the best candidates get to the second round of technical tests.
Better still, our platform goes well with remote hiring, making your job exponentially easier and with a higher rate of success. You can finally stop reviewing all those technical assessment report samples.
- Unbiased feedback for the ultimate candidate experience
- Reduced hiring time and budget
- Finding hidden gems who would otherwise be overlooked
What is a technical assessment interview?
With the inception of the fourth industrial revolution came the adoption of revolutionary technologies to keep businesses competition-worthy. As for the clients, you can expect them to be looking for the best solutions.
You want a team of software developers with extraordinary skills. A team that has gone through all the technical assessment stages in the interviews to emerge victors. For this, you need two crucial components: a technical interview and a test.
- A technical interview allows you to assess a candidate's technical skills, domain proficiency, and job prowess to establish their suitability for the open roles in your company.
- A technical test includes a set of technical assessment questions that you deploy in a technical interview to evaluate a candidate's coding skills and experience depending on a specific role.
While both assess a candidate's technical skills, they can also focus on cognitive thinking, soft skills, suitability, and general aptitude.
So what’s the importance of a technical test and interview?
- To identify top talent
- Minimize the risk of a wrong hire
- Save time and resources for you and the interviewee
- Promote a positive candidate experience
- Gain deeper insights into a candidate's profile
How to prepare for technical interview questions
You thought sitting through a departmental meeting with C-Suite was stressful; sitting through an interview that you're not prepared for is worse.
Maybe you didn’t have enough coffee before the meeting, or you failed to reevaluate the role and understand the position better. You might be having technical difficulties.
Keep in mind that candidates usually have a list of technical interview questions to ask the employer. Then it's your turn to be in the hot seat.
Follow these tips to help you prep:
- Understand what the open role entails
- Prepare your questions; a technical interview questions and answers pdf will guide you through examples, including “what are your technical skills” interview questions
- Create a candidate persona to help you find your ideal candidate
- Have all your ducks in a row before the interview
Hiring engineers is no walk in the park — hence the need for adequate preparation.
How about using Woven’s online assessment platform for both your prepping and interviewing needs? With technical questions for multiple roles integrated into our platform, you can rest assured that only the best candidates will make it to the next round of interviews.
And when you save time and money, you can fire on all cylinders.
If you’re an engineering leader looking for talented developers that can hit the ground running in your fast-growing business, start a free trial with Woven today.